I’m super excited to make the last year of my 20’s full of accomplishments and fun. Without further adieu, my 30 by 30 list
- climb Mount Washington (I plan on joining a few of my co-workers for this charitable climb next year… it will be just a few weeks before my 30th. So excited!!) – didn’t properly train for it so Adam and I did a small hike in Maine instead. It was awesome and we plan on doing lots of hikes this summer!
- try a CrossFit class – tried a class on 7/13 – loved it!
- do a 100 pushups challenge
- make marshmallows – Update on 6/28: done!
- make croissants
- make really good (crusty) sourdough bread
- make gnocchi – Update on 7/7: done!
- make the perfect omelet – working on it…
- make french macarons – made them with Shannon – check out her recaps of lavendar macarons with honey vanilla mascarpone and red velvet macarons. They were reaallly good and not that hard to make!
- make spaetzle – done
- make cinnamon buns – done (sort of)
- make challah bread – Update on 6/26: first thing done!
- add 5 go-to meals to my repertoire – Update on 10/3: so far I’ve got Mario Batali’s chicken thighs on the grill, Batali’s grilled calamari with chickpea salad, and pepperoni pizza monkey bread (<– does this count as a meal? It’s definitely a new go-to for parties!), slow carb meatballs, chicken saltimbocca.
- add 5 go-to baked goods to my repertoire -Update on 8/29: summer fruit cobbler. Sad progress in this department!
- make 5 new legit cocktails – #1: apple cider rumtini. No luck here either – I did try but I’m no mixologist!
- cook 25 Russian meals (and blog about them on Russian Bites) – update on 10/3: so far I’ve made beef stroganoff, ponchiki, savory profiteroles, blini, layered jello cake, vareniki, chocolate covered sirki, kugelis, chocolate “potato” truffles, and otbivnii (chicken fried pork).
- try every restaurant on Boston’s 2011 munch madness list (out of 64 restaurants, I haven’t been to 31). Mmm, what a tasty challenge Update on 9/30: so far tried East by Northeast, Foundry on Elm, Sportello, Towne, Canary Square, The Gallows, Upstairs on the Square, The Butcher Shop, Erbaluce, Deuxave, Rendezvous, O Ya (my dad took me there – amazing!!), Cutty’s.
- make a monthly special dinner (a little more indulgent) – I pretty much did this as part of hosting people over for dinner (#16)
- have people over for dinner at least 12 times *Already have 2 down… made margarita chicken tacos with strawberry salsa for some friends a few weeks ago and last night had my parents over for dinner and made (homemade) fresh papardelle with clams, white wine, garlic and tomatoes. I even have proof!
Both the actual pasta and the clam dish recipe came from Jamie Oliver’s The Naked Chef Takes Off. I am seriously obsessed with his cookbooks lately! Update on 6/13: dinner #3 done! and dinner #4 on 7/10, dinner #5 of incredible Italian dinner for parents, vegan dinner #6 of chili and carrot cake, dinner #7 for Erin + Pete – Cook’s Illustrated mac & cheese (with ham and peas) and cherry pirog (recipe to come!), dinner #8: taco night with neighbors; #9: Hanukkah dinner for my parents (I even made jelly donuts from scratch!). I’m doing well! :D; #10: miracle berry sweetened dinner; #11: Spanish tapas night; #12: chicken saltimbocca with Steph and Ted
- build a lightbox – I did 1 step better… I created a mini photo-studio!
- read photography book + manual – meh, boring – never got to it!
- get comfortable using tripod – no luck. i still hate using it. maybe one day…
- get my gmail inbox to zero emails for at least one day
- volunteer at least 12 times – 5 classes done as assistant volunteer at Cooking Matters program + ongoing chef instructor with Cooking Matters. I’ve also volunteered at Boston Rescue Mission.
- send a random care package to a friend (at least 4)
- launch the Healthy and Sane addition (CHANGE of plans: launch my new business!!!) – done! I’m the found of Satisfied Cravings now!
- finish all the little projects around the house, incl. decorative details – lots done including a fun food photo collage project, new walk-in closet, pictures, etc. It looks put together now
- Take at least 3 day trips – we did a Glouchester/Rockland trip in the summer, 2 more TBD.
- make a vision board (or envelope) – My boards on Pinterest!
- organize recipe binders – working on it…
So excited to get started! I’ll keep you guys posted, especially on the food-related challenges