A few months ago, Alex from Water Pik, Inc. contacted me about trying one of their products and writing a review about it on my blog. Although not food related, Water Pik’s products interested me for another reason – they are green/eco friendly. This is another topic I’m quite passionate about. I try to eat local, mostly organic foods, recycle, use environmentally friendly cleaning products, own a Prius, use re-usable shopping bags, etc. I’m even one of those weird people on planes that keeps using the same cup over and over, instead of getting a new one every half hour. Oh yeah, I’ve gotten looks on this one before! 😉 I just hate waste! One of the products that caught my eye was an eco-friendly shower head. We literally closed on our condo just days prior, and I thought it was the perfect opportunity to put it to the test.
My father in law helped Adam put it in our shower – it took literally minutes! Just unscrew the old shower head and screw this baby in. Done! Now you can be more eco-friendly! 😀
I liked that the shower head could be hand-held as well as secured on its base. It’s very helpful for days I don’t want to get my hair wet (man, I’m such a girl sometimes! 😆 ). There are also a few different settings, so you can change the type of water flow you prefer. All of them were much weaker than our previous shower head, but that’s to be expected. Overall, there is still sufficient pressure to get a good shower so I’d definitely recommend it. Let’s save the world one shower at a time
Since we’re talking about being green and all, I thought I’d share some other green products that I like to use. Of course there is the eco-friendly reusable SIGG water bottle. I use this baby at the gym.
We also use energy-saving light bulbs. They cost more money but last a lot longer. Definitely worth it!
Our house is full of green cleaning products. We still have a few “regular” ones, but I replace them with their eco-friendly counterparts as they get used. 😀
- All natural citrus air freshener
- CitraDish dishwasher gel in fresh grapefruit
- Citrus Magic 100% natural odor eliminating citrus air freshener – LOVE this!! It really smells like oranges in our bathroom
- Seventh Generations natural dish liquid
- Ecover cream scrub
- Ecover toilet bowl cleaner
- Green Works natural all-purpose cleaner
If you need some convincing about why green products are the way to go, watch this hilarious video! Seriously, watch it (it gets good after 16 seconds)!!
And finally my make-up and beauty products. This has been the hardest thing for me to adopt since I have so many favorites from days I couldn’t care less about this kind of stuff. I’m doing my best about replacing as many of them as I can but this is one area where I think it will take a lot longer for me to change. I’ve been using the Skin Deep database to determine which products are safe and which ones should be avoided. I hope one day they are able to have even more products tested! Here are a few of my new purchases and my thoughts on them:
- Pure & Basic liquid hand soap – a great liquid soap!
- Korres Sugar crystal cream (face moisturizer) – rated 1 on Skin Deep (0-2 = low hazard; 7-10 = high hazard). I’m not in love with it yet. It has light texture but I’m not sure it provides my skin with sufficient moisture. I may keep looking.
- Meadowlake Farm About Face (face moisturizer) – rated 0 on Skin Deep; ingredients list sounds almost like a recipe (include raw honey, EVOO, mango butter, etc.) – that’s awesome. This is a very heavy cream. I’d like to find a nice balance between these 2.
- L’Oreal double extend mascara – rated 5 (I think it used to be rated lower). I bought it because of a lower rating than some other ones I’ve seen but it’s not great! Looking through the database right now, I can find a few others rated at least 4.
So clearly I still have a long way to go on the green cosmetics front. Now let’s get to our pearly whites… Waterpik would like to send one lucky Healthy and Sane reader a Waterpik sensonic professional toothbrush!!
Here is how to enter the Waterpik toothbrush giveaway:
1) Leave a comment on this post! I would especially like to hear about green products you love
2) If you have a blog, let others know about the giveaway and link back to this post. If you don’t have a blog, tell someone about this giveaway and let me know that you’ve done so (after they enter the giveaway by commenting). *This earns you 2 bonus points*
3) If you have a blog, add Healthy and Sane to your blogroll (if I’m already on your blogroll, let me know – it counts!). If you don’t, shoot me an email and give me some feedback on my blog. *This also earns you 2 bonus points*
The giveaway will run for a week through 5pm EST on December 9. I will announce the winner that night. Good luck! 😀